Lansing Correctional Facility, also referred to as LCF, is a prison facility situated in Lansing (Leavenworth County), Kansas. There are two other prisons in this county: United States Penitentiary and United States Disciplinary Barracks, both of which have helped to build the reputation of the area as a center for corrections.
Lansing Correctional Facility, built in the 1860s, was first called Kansas State Penitentiary but was later renamed in 1990. It received its first inmates in 1868 and has housed prisoners continuously since then; the only exception being the first months of 1896 due to a spread of smallpox in Kansas.
Lansing Correctional Facility is organized in two separated units according to their level of security. The Central Unit is a cell house for prisoners that require maximum security as well as medium security. The East Unit is only for those inmates that require a minimum level of monitoring. Previously, the facility has performed executions until 1965, when the death penalty was abolished in Kansas. It has since been reinstated but no executions have taken place.